E-filing is the electronic submission of tax returns to SARS through a secure online portal. It is a convenient and time-saving way for taxpayers to file their tax returns without the need for paper-based submissions.
The process of e-filing is quick, secure, and simple, with clear guidance provided by SARS to assist taxpayers with the process.
Benefits of E-Filing Submission
E-filing offers several advantages to taxpayers, including:
- Convenience: E-filing allows taxpayers to file their tax returns from the comfort of their own home or office, without the need to visit a SARS branch or post their returns.
- Speed: E-filing is a much faster process compared to paper-based submissions, with refunds processed within a few days of submission.
- Accuracy: E-filing helps to reduce errors in tax returns, as the system automatically checks for calculation errors and prompts taxpayers to correct any mistakes.
- Security: E-filing is a secure method of filing tax returns, with SARS using advanced encryption technology to protect taxpayer information.
How to Register for E-Filing
Before you can start e-filing, you will need to register for an e-filing profile. Here are the steps to follow:
- Visit the SARS e-filing website at www.sarsefiling.co.za
- Click on the “Register” button
- Fill in your personal information, including your ID number, name, and surname
- Choose a username and password for your e-filing profile
- Select a security question and provide an answer
- Click on “Register”
Once you have completed the registration process, SARS will send a confirmation email to the email address you provided. You will need to follow the instructions in the email to activate your e-filing profile.
Requirements for E-Filing
To use the e-filing system, you will need the following:
- A valid South African ID number
- An email address
- Internet access
- A computer or mobile device with a web browser
It is important to note that there are specific e-filing deadlines for different types of taxpayers in South Africa. For individuals, the deadline for e-filing is usually at the end of November each year.
However, the deadline for provisional taxpayers is typically in January and June each year.
It is important to check with SARS for specific deadlines to ensure that you file your tax return on time and avoid penalties.
RELATED POST: E-filing deadline in South Africa
Pingback: E-Filing Status South Africa: Everything You Need to Know