Do you want to learn how to get free clothes?
There are many ways to get free clothes online and in-person, which means you can save money and have a new outfit.
From online shopping to community groups and social media, there are many platforms where you can find free clothes for yourself and your family. In this article, I will help you find free clothing both online and near you.
Whether you’re an expert bargain hunter or just learning the ropes, taking advantage of free outfits can be the key to sprucing up your wardrobe without spending a ton of money. Read on to learn more about how to get free clothes, discounts, and clever hacks to get free clothes while maintaining your budget.
- Explore online platforms, like Facebook Buy Nothing groups, Craigslist, and Freecycle.org, for free clothing options.
- Connect with friends and communities to organize clothing swaps.
- Blogging or social media can lead to free clothing items and discounts.
How To Get Free Clothes
1. Facebook Buy Nothing Groups
If you’re looking for the easiest way to learn how to get free clothes, Facebook Buy Nothing groups can be one of the best options in your local area. These local groups on Facebook are part of the Buy Nothing Project, which aims to connect neighbors who are willing to give items away for free, including clothing.
I have given away many, many things in my Facebook Buy Nothing group, and I see lots of clothes given away all the time. You can find free clothes for women, men, children, and babies in your local Facebook Buy Nothing group.
To get started with Facebook Buy Nothing groups, simply search for a Buy Nothing group in your town or city. If you live in a large city, there might be multiple groups for different neighborhoods. Once you find the right group, send a request to join. You can start by searching “your city name Buy Nothing Group” as an example.
After you’ve been accepted into the group, you can start looking for free clothes. Keep an eye out for posts from group members offering clothing items they no longer need, and don’t hesitate to ask questions and state your interest in the items you like. When you find something you’d like to have, simply comment on the post to let the person know that you’re interested. The person may choose to gift the item to the first person who comments, or they might decide to draw names at random.
Another way you can learn how to get free clothes on Buy Nothing is by hosting a clothing round-robin. This is when people put together a box of clothes together that goes person to person. You can try items on in your home, take clothing you like, add to the box, and pass it along to the next person.
Facebook Marketplace may also have free clothing listed as well.
2. Look at Craigslist for free clothing
Craigslist has a free section on their website where you can find clothing and other items that people are giving away.
To get started, go to Craigslist.org and head to the free section of the website. Then type “clothes” or whatever specific article of clothing you are looking for in the Craigslist search bar.
Then when you find a free clothing listing that you like, simply click on the title or image to view more information about the offer and send an email to the person.
Note: For your safety, it is a good idea to meet the person in a public place and bring a friend along when you pick up the clothes.
3. Check Freecycle.org for clothing and shoes
Freecycle.org is a great resource for where to get free clothes online.
Freecycle is a nonprofit movement/website that allows members to give away and receive items for free in their local area. Freecycle is all about reducing waste and keeping items out of landfills.
To get started, create a free account on Freecycle.org and start looking at what is available in your area.
When you find something you like, simply respond to the listing, and the person will give you details on how to pick up the items.
For more content related to how to get free clothes, check out: 15 Awesome Ways To Get Free Stuff.
4. Organize a swap with friends to get free clothes
Setting up a clothing swap with friends and family is a fun way to refresh your wardrobe while also learning how to get free clothes.
Here are some steps to host a fun clothing swap:
- Set a date and location – Choose a date and time that works for you and your friends. It’s a good idea to host the swap at your home or another comfortable space where everyone feels welcome. Make sure there is enough room for everyone to display and try on clothes.
- Invite your friends – Create a guest list and send out invites. You can use social media, email, or text message to invite your friends. Make some ground rules for how the swap will work, and ask everyone to bring clean, gently used clothes that they no longer wear.
- Prepare the space – Set up an area where friends can display their clothing items. This can be as simple as just using a dining room table or everyone sitting on the couch in the living room.
You can make it even more fun by asking everyone to bring snacks and food as well and make it more of a potluck.
I also recommend checking out the website Rehash. This is an online swap website where you can trade clothing with others online.
5. Birthday freebies
Many stores give you discounts or free stuff on your birthday when you sign up for their email lists or by joining customer loyalty programs.
These offers can be in the form of discounts, coupons, or even free items for a limited time.
Related: 31 Birthday Freebies You Should Sign Up For
6. Participate in sweepstakes and contests
If you want to learn how to get free clothes from companies, participating in sweepstakes and contests is a great option. Many stores and clothing brands have contests on their social media platforms, offering free clothing or clothing gift cards.
You can often find these by simply following your favorite stores and brands on social media – like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram – to see when they hold a giveaway.
Another way to find sweepstakes and giveaways to enter is to search related hashtags on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Many times, sweepstakes and giveaways are tagged with these hashtags in order to grow even more and so that people can find them. I used to enter giveaways all the time, and this is exactly how I would find giveaways to enter. Some hashtags to find free online clothing giveaways include:
7. Find money-making apps that will pay you in clothing gift cards
If you’re looking to add some new clothing to your wardrobe without spending a lot of money, you can try using money-making apps that give you free gift cards or PayPal cash.
This may include taking surveys and shopping online, you can earn points that can be redeemed for gift cards to popular clothing stores. Here are some apps to consider using for free gift cards:
- Swagbucks is a popular site that rewards you for completing tasks, such as watching videos, taking surveys, and shopping online. You can earn points and redeem them for gift cards from popular stores, like Amazon, Target, Walmart, Adidas, and Under Armour, where you can purchase clothing.
- American Consumer Opinion is a popular survey website where you can get paid around $1 to $5 (longer surveys pay more than shorter ones) for each survey you answer.
- Branded Surveys is an online survey company that pays around from $0.50 to $5.00 per survey that you answer. Like with all survey companies that I recommend, it is free to join.
- Fetch Rewards is a grocery rewards app where you can redeem your points for clothing gift cards. You scan your receipts from grocery shopping and earn points that can be exchanged for gift cards at various clothing stores, like American Eagle, Gap, Lululemon, Old Navy, and more.
- Upside is a cell phone app that gives you cash back for using the gas stations that are listed in their app. You simply sign up for a free account, and then look at the Upside app to find gas stations located near you. With Upside, you can make up to $0.25 per gallon cash back at gas stations. You can then redeem your earnings for cash to your bank account, but also for free gift cards to H&M, Nike, Target, Walmart, and more.
- Ibotta is an app where you can unlock rebates and rewards, go shopping, verify your purchases, and then get cash.
By using these apps, you can earn gift cards to clothing stores without spending a dime.
Related: 16 Real Ways To Earn Free Gift Cards (Amazon, Target, Visa)
8. Redeem credit card rewards points to put towards free gift cards for clothes
You can benefit from using your credit card rewards points to score free gift cards for clothes!
Many credit card issuers offer reward programs, which give you points for every dollar you spend. By accumulating these points, you can redeem them for various rewards, including gift cards to your favorite clothing stores.
The way that rewards credit cards work is that every time you use your credit card, you can earn points for spending money. Yes, spending money just like how you normally spend money.
Two rewards credit cards that I personally like include:
- Chase Freedom Flex
- Chase Sapphire Preferred
Note: Using credit cards for their rewards is only wise if you are a responsible credit card user. You do not want to add debt to your life to earn credit card rewards, as debt that gains interest is not free or worth it! You need to make sure you’re paying your credit card balance in full each month for the gift card rewards to be worth it so that you are not taking on debt that you don’t need.
9. Start a clothing blog or social media account
Starting a clothing blog or social media account can be a fun way to get free clothes to promote. By building a following, clothing brands may want to partner with you and give you free clothing.
To begin, choose a platform where you want to focus your time, such as starting a fashion blog or setting up an Instagram account. For example, if you’re passionate about taking pictures, Instagram can be a perfect platform for this. If you want to focus on writing, then a blog may be better. If you prefer video, then starting a YouTube channel or TikTok may be for you.
Next, you’ll want to focus on growing your audience. You can grow your following by regularly posting high-quality content and replying to comments.
Once you are ready, you can start reaching out to clothing brands for possible partnerships by sending emails or social media messages, telling them that you are interested in promoting their products and discussing how the collaboration can benefit the both of you. You may be asked to share statistics about your blog or social media account, including your follower count and engagement rate to show that the partnership would be worthwhile.
In addition to receiving free clothing, partnering with clothing companies can lead to other benefits, such as promo codes for your readers or even earning referral income for any purchases from followers made through your affiliate links.
You can learn how to start a blog in my free How To Start a Blog Course.
Note: Please keep in mind that being a trustworthy blogger or social media influencer means always disclosing when a post is sponsored or when you receive a product for free. Adding disclaimers is also the law when using affiliate links or sharing sponsored posts.
10. Get a job at a clothing store
When I was younger, I worked at a clothing store. If we beat our monthly sales goals, we were given a percentage of that in a gift card to the store. This was a great way to get free clothing!
Now, not all clothing stores have this perk, but you may be able to ask around and see if others do.
Another perk of working at a clothing store is the employee discount that you can get. As an employee, you typically receive a good employee discount – sometimes up to 50% off. This could be a great way for you to save money on clothes while earning a paycheck.
11. Reach out to a local nonprofit or charitable group
Many nonprofits or charitable groups offer free clothing to those in need.
Shelters, religious organizations, and other groups often have clothing banks available. Don’t be afraid to reach out to these organizations if you find yourself needing how to get free clothes for everyday or work.
12. School donation programs
Some schools and universities host clothing donation programs, which can help students who may be struggling financially.
You can keep an eye out for these events to get free clothes for yourself or your children. Schools might even have partnerships with local retailers, providing designer clothing at no cost, along with essentials.
I recommend reaching out to your school and asking what options are available for you.
13. Local yard sales
Yard sales are a great place to find cheap or even free clothes. Some homeowners may be willing to part with clothes for very cheap or free, especially towards the end of the day when they are packing up and they want to get rid of the items that are remaining.
14. Pregnancy and baby sample boxes
If you are pregnant, then you can probably get a free baby box filled with items you’ll want and need.
You typically get a free baby box when you create a baby registry. These boxes are often filled with free baby samples, such as a baby onesie, baby bottles, diapers, pacifiers, and more.
I got both the Amazon baby box and the Babylist baby box when I was pregnant, and they were both great and free! I simply created a registry through both sites (which is something that I was already doing), and I received the free baby box once someone purchased something off my baby registry.
In each, there was one baby onesie. So it wasn’t a lot of free baby clothing, but it was fun to receive and there were lots of other free items in the box as well.
Related: Best Baby Gear – Guide For New Parents
15. Refer friends to your favorite stores
Referral programs are offered by many online clothing companies, and this may get you some free clothing.
When you refer a friend to the website, both you and your friend often receive a discount or credit towards your next purchase. You can share your unique referral link with friends and family, or promote it on social media to reach a larger audience.
Some online stores which have a referral program include Lulus, Poshmark, ThreadUP, Stitch Fix, Rent The Runway, and many more.
Make the most of online shopping to get money to put towards clothes
When shopping online, there are ways that you can save money. While these won’t lead you to getting entirely free clothing, these tips can make clothing more affordable.
- Use coupons and promo codes –Always keep an eye out for coupons and promo codes before making a purchase to save money on clothes. Websites, like Honey, often have promo codes available for online stores. This way, you can save on your purchases and have more money to put towards new clothes. You can install the Honey browser extension, which automatically finds and applies available coupon codes and promo codes when you shop online. Then shop like normal and when you’re ready to checkout, Honey will instantly find and apply the best coupon codes directly to your shopping cart.
- Cash-back sites –Using cash-back sites is another smart way to save money on your apparel purchases. Rakuten offers cash back (up to 40% cash back!) for shopping at many different online retailers (they have thousands of options). Simply browse the Rakuten website, find stores you normally shop at, and earn a percentage of cash back for every purchase.
- Loyalty programs – Signing up for loyalty programs can be a great way to earn points or rewards that can be put towards new clothes. Many clothing stores offer rewards programs for their customers. As a member, you can earn points with each purchase that can be redeemed for discounts or even free clothing items.
- Shop at thrift stores and consignment shops – Thrift stores can be a great source of free or inexpensive clothes. There are even online thrift stores, such as ThredUP and OfferUp.
Frequently asked questions about how to get free clothes
Below, I answer common questions about ways to get clothing for free.
Where can I find free clothing giveaways?
One way to find free clothes that are being given away is to search for online giveaways and contests. You can find these by going to giveaway websites, or searching hashtags on Twitter and Instagram, such as #giveaway and #clothinggiveaway.
There are many if you want to learn how to get free clothes, such as reaching out to nonprofit organizations, shelters, and churches in your local area. You can also check out websites, like Freecycle.org or Craigslist, for listings of free clothing resources in your community. Also, joining local Facebook Groups for clothing swaps or free items may help you find free clothes near you.
How can I receive free clothes delivered to my door?
By participating in referral programs, product testing programs, or signing up for clothing site rewards, you can potentially receive free clothes delivered to your door.
How to get free items from SHEIN?
There are a few ways to get free Shein clothes, and this is a very popular question about how to get free clothes!
There is a Shein Free Trial Center where you may be able to test out outfits for free. You will have to write a product review for the item you get for free with the Shein product testing program.
There are also Shein giveaways on social media all the time that you can enter as well.
How do I manage to have a great wardrobe on a tight budget?
To have a great wardrobe on a tight budget, you may want to focus on versatile and timeless pieces that can be mixed and matched. This may include shopping sales, clearance sections, and secondhand stores to find affordable clothing items. You can also swap clothes with friends or attend clothing swap events to save money.
How can I get a lot of clothes with little money?
You can get a lot of clothes with little money by shopping at thrift stores, discount stores, and clearance sales.
How do I get free athletic wear?
Many running shoes have a product testing program for athletes and runners, such as the Saucony product testing program, Reebok product testing program, New Balance tester community, and the Nike product testing program.
These companies will need your shoe size and some other information from you before they can send you anything. There will most likely be an in-depth questionnaire for you to answer after you try the shoes.
In some cases, you will not be able to keep the shoes, just so you know.
How To Get Free Clothes Online Without Paying – Summary
I hope you enjoyed today’s article on my best tips and tricks on how to get free clothing. As you can see, there are many ways to get started!
Whether you are looking for free t-shirts, jeans, shoes, work clothes, or something else, there is plenty of free apparel if you look around.
With Facebook Buy Nothing groups, Craigslist, and Freecycle.org, you can connect with like-minded individuals and exchange items without needing to pay. Also, connecting with friends, family, and online communities by organizing clothing swaps, working with money-making apps that offer gift cards, and blogging or engaging on social media can lead to free clothing items as well.
Remember, when you maximize your online shopping by using loyalty programs, cash-back apps, referral programs, and coupons, you’ll have more money to put towards new clothing items.
Do you know how to get free clothes? What’s your favorite way?
Source: Making Sense Of Cents.