When your child is first learning how to drive, you go through a wide array of emotions. Of course, you’re proud of them, but there are plenty of things to be afraid of, from whether or not they’ll be safe drivers to how to pay for their insurance. Here are some tips for obtaining auto insurance in Orange County, FL, for your first-time driver.
Consider Adding Them to Your Policy
First-time drivers are considered high-risk and thus pay much higher premiums. Your child may not be able to pay these premiums on their own. When you add them onto your own insurance policy, the rates tend to be more reasonable.
- More Discounts – Whether you are having your child pay their own insurance or if you are covering it, adding them to your policy gives them access to discounts like multi-car discount, and loyalty discounts.
- Low or No Down Payment – Some insurance companies require that first-time drivers pay a down-payment. When you are added to an existing policy, the down-payment is lowered or waived.
If You Can’t Add Them to Your Policy
If you cannot add your child to your existing insurance policy for whatever reason, there are a few tips they can use to acquire a good deal on car insurance:
- Shop Around – Speak with an insurance agent at Florida Insurance Group and they can find you quotes from several different carriers so that you can get the best rate.
- Pay in Full – If you can, most insurance policies offer a discount when you pay your balance in full. While it may not be easy to save that much money at a time, it is worth it if you can manage the expense.
- Re-Shopping – Once you’re first-time driver has had insurance for six months; they can likely get a cheaper rate on insurance, so repeat the shopping process to see if you can save money by switching carriers.