You may have been considering learning German for a while, or maybe you’re just starting to think about it. Either way, you may be wondering if it’s worth your time. Even if you’re a beginner, there are always ways to learn a new language and it’s important to choose the best training available for you. If you prefer to be in-person with your teacher, then it is better to choose someone local, and if you prefer to go online then nowadays you can find many German lessons in videos, online courses, or literature on the Internet. Here are five reasons to learn German that may help you make up your mind.
It’s the most widely spoken language in the European Union
If you’re considering a new language, this one is a great choice. Not only is it the most widely spoken one in the European Union, but it’s also one of the most popular ones for international business and travel. It is also relatively easy to learn for English speakers and can be a useful tool for anyone looking to expand their career options or traveling opportunities.
It’s the second most widely used scientific language
As the world’s second most widely used scientific language, this one gives you access to a wealth of knowledge and research. From medicine and engineering to sustainable development and business, understanding it will give you a leg up in your studies or career.
Not only is it the second most widely used scientific language, but it is also one of the easiest ones for English speakers to study. With its clear, concise sentence structure and simplified grammar rules, this is an excellent choice for anyone looking to expand their linguistic skills.
It’s the official language of many international organisations
It’s the official language of many international organisations, including the United Nations, the European Union, NATO, and the International Olympic Committee. As a result, studying it can give you a leg up in your career. It can also help you better understand the world around you, as over 100 million people worldwide speak it.
It can help you better understand English
Many people don’t realise that these two have a lot in common. They are both Germanic, which means they have the same roots. This makes learning it a great way to better understand English.
It also has a lot of loanwords from English, so you will already be familiar with some words when you start. And because this is such a popular one, there are plenty of resources available to help you.
Speaking German can increase your job prospects
It’s no secret that speaking multiple languages can give your career a boost. But did you know that knowing this one can specifically help you get ahead? Here are three reasons why this can increase your job prospects:
- Many multinational companies are based in Germany ‒ If you want to work for a global company, German will give you a leg up on the competition. Many of the world’s biggest companies are headquartered in Germany, including Volkswagen, Siemens, BMW, and Adidas. And even if a company isn’t based in the main country, being able to speak this language could give you an edge when applying for international positions;
- Germans are known for their engineering and manufacturing prowess ‒ If you’re looking to get into engineering or manufacturing, being able to speak it will make you more attractive to employers. Germany is known for its excellence in these fields, and as a result, many companies have german-language operations or partner with firms from that country;
- Germans are also known for their business acumen ‒ Not only is Germany home to many large businesses but it’s also considered a leading nation when it comes to business practices and principles.
How to get started?
We are all aware that a new language requires a certain level of diligence and cannot be done without hard work. However, many people mistakenly believe that, for example, German is particularly difficult.
But the truth is different. It’s a great one to learn, and it’s sure to open many doors for you. And speaking it is not much more complicated than any other. Of course, there are some peculiarities, and that’s why the professionals at Tutorextra.co.uk give some effective tips for you and your education. Let’s get started!
- Learn new words in context ‒ Many people are tempted to take up a new language simply by memorising ready-made words. However, this way we won’t be able to remember these words or use them in a real situation. Or to put it simply – we will only waste our time;
- Don’t be intimidated by long words ‒ german is known for its complicated and long words. Many people are intimidated by them because they can’t immediately figure out how to pronounce them even if they are somewhat familiar with the rules. Where is the accent placed? Do we need to pronounce it quickly? What about when our tongue gets tangled? All of these things make long words seem pretty scary. Well, they aren’t, you just need to understand what they are;
- A good teacher is indispensable ‒ There are many ways to learn it. You can rely on different phrasebooks, and apps or even buy a self-study book. But the truth is that German is best learnt if taught by a good tutor. Why? First of all, the teacher knows how to break down the material and the concepts we want to learn. So instead of biting off too big a bite, we get as much as we can take in. And of course, we won’t wander around wondering what we have to learn today or tomorrow.
There are many benefits of German, whether you’re looking to improve your career prospects, connect with your heritage, or simply broaden your horizons. It’s a widely spoken language that can open up new opportunities for you both professionally and personally. With its rich culture and history, knowing it can also help you better appreciate the world around you. Once you are in advanced classes, you’ll be able to read different manuals and if you have a good vocabulary your communication with locals will be easier. So why not give it a try? You might be surprised at how rewarding it can be.